Nom Nom Nom - Eats!

Monday, January 23, 2012

Slow Cooker Potato Soup!

Sorry for the long-time-no-post...  I had time during vacation, and now I'm back to real life!

The other day I found a recipe on Pinterest for potato soup.  I LOVE potatoes, as does my husband, so we had it for dinner last week!
I was really proud of myself - this is the first slow cooker recipe I've done since school started.  I did all of the prep the night before, so all I had to do was toss everything in before I left for work (which only took all of 5 minutes!).

The recipe is from The Tidy Nest. I did modify it a bit.
(The recipe without the awesome pictures is found at the end...)

Ingredients:

6 cups cubed, peeled potatoes
3 cans chicken broth
2 cups onion, chopped (approx. 1 and a half onions)
1 cup celery, chopped  (approx. 4 stalks)
1 cup carrots, thinly sliced (approx. 3 large carrots)
1/4 cup butter
2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
3 t. dried parsley
  • Slice up the celery and carrots.  Don't slice them too thinly, they will lose their flavor!  Chop up your onion.
 

  •  Cube those potatoes! I used about 20 tiny yellow potatoes.  That's all I bought, and it happened to be EXACTLY the right amount, phew! 
    • These potatoes held their shape and consistency VERY well and have a creamy texture.  I think Russet potatoes would break down a bit more, leaving you with a less broth-y soup (which is what I was thought would happen with these... Oh well, next time!).
    • I stored the cubed potatoes in water overnight.

  • My additions to the recipe to cook the entire time in the slow cooker:
5 large cloves of garlic
    I sliced up a package of Hillshire Farm Sausage
     
TIME TO COOK!
    Throw all of your ingredients in the slow cooker, including the 3 cans of chicken broth.  Don't add the milk yet!

  • I cooked it on low heat for about 10 hours.  I'm sure it didn't need that long, but I was at work all day :) 


  • About half an hour before serving, add the can of condensed milk.  I also added a bunch of fresh kale at this time.  It was a great fresh addition!



  • Serve (with a fresh baguette perhaps?) and enjoy!



**What I would do differently next time:

  • Next time I would like to try russet potatoes.  I think I would like the broken down potato. The yellow potatoes are good if you want your leftovers to still be solid.
  • I would also not use that particular sausage.  It lost all of its flavor sitting in the slow cooker all day.  I would prefer to get sausage in casing that I can uncase and cook up (ground beef style) and add at the half hour with the milk and kale.
Overall, (especially by my hubby's standards) this soup was a success, and I will try it again!

Thanks for reading :D

<3, kimchisgirl

P.S.  Thanks again, The Tidy Nest, for a delicious, fairly simple meal!

*Recipe without the awesome pictures:
Ingredients:

6 cups cubed, peeled potatoes
3 cans chicken broth
2 cups onion, chopped (approx. 1 and a half onions)
1 cup celery, chopped  (approx. 4 stalks)
1 cup carrots, thinly sliced (approx. 3 large carrots)
1/4 cup butter
2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
3 t. dried parsley
  • Slice up the celery and carrots.  Don't slice them too thinly, they will lose their flavor! Chop up your onion.
  •  Cube those potatoes! I used about 20 tiny yellow potatoes.  That's all I bought, and it happened to be EXACTLY the right amount, phew! 
    • These potatoes held their shape and consistency VERY well and have a creamy texture.  I think Russet potatoes would break down a bit more, leaving you with a less broth-y soup (which is what I was thought would happen with these... Oh well, next time!).
    • I stored the cubed potatoes in water overnight.
  • My additions to the recipe to cook the entire time in the slow cooker:
    • 5 large cloves of garlic
    • A package of Hillshire Farm sausage
  • Time to cook!  Add the first 8 ingredients to the slow cooker (plus garlic and sausage if you please).
  • Cook on low until veggies are tender (I cooked about 10 hours).
  • About half an hour before serving, add the can of condensed milk.  I also added a bunch of fresh kale at this time.  It was a great fresh addition!

No comments:

Post a Comment